The Odd Mix

I have moved to http://oddmix.wordpress.com Everything that was here is now over there as well. Come on over and join the fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Weekend Words Challenge

In Which I Stand Awed in the Shadow of KRISTINE!


Back in my pre blog days (well, the blog existed but I wasn’t posting) I participated in an online art community, which we shall call DA, to share and improve my photography skills. Mostly what I enjoyed about DA was engaging in communication with a group, but there was (with rare exceptions) precious little to be had.
missing

The other thing that kept me at DA was photo contests – mostly just for bragging rights. My favorite contests were from a group called One Word Photo, or OWP. The concept was simple – they announced a word and you took and submitted a picture that represented that word. The tricky part was the word was rarely a noun - more often a concept such as natural, darkness, or duality (I won that one) – so you had to put some real thought into deciding what image to capture.
duality
Since turning/returning to this blog I have continued to practice my photography and have shared some of my work here. One day I realized I hadn't been to DA in over a month – so I effectively quit going there at all. But I missed the contests. Then I discovered SPF from Kristine and the clouds parted. And yet my craving is unfulfilled.

So I am going to try recreating OWP here. Initially I am going to call it “The Weekend Words Challenge” and will give you three words on Thursday. Then you have the weekend to take the pictures.
wind

Here is what I hope to see in the submissions:
1. Creative interpretation - don’t necessarily go with the obvious answer. Surprise us with the way you portray the concept word.
2. Quality photography – framing, focus, content, exposure, contrast. The whole shebang.
3. Constructive Comments - I love, love, love having my photos critiqued (constructively) so I can improve. I want this challenge to be a learning experience.
toxic

I understand that life happens and sometimes you don’t have time to take new shots or you know just the perfect image you took last week. You can of course pick from your archives, but, personally, I would love to see an emphasis on new work. And when you post, please let us know if you do NOT desire critiquing of your work.* If you don’t specify, I will assume that I am free to point out ways you might improve your work.** I will always appreciate it if you will do the same for mine.

Like Kristine with SPF on Friday, I will post my submissions on Monday. You can let us know in the comments that you played. I may not always submit for all the words (though I will always submit at least one) and you need not either. Sometimes the muse doesn’t speak.

I hope there are a few other photography buffs out there amongst you who will enjoy this challenge. If you have any suggestions or recommendations (change the name, fewer words, pound sand, etc.) please let me know. I guess we’ll see how it goes.
reach

* If you do not desire critique I would still love to see your submissions and will simply comment on the good aspects that I see.
** This is NOT license to be spiteful, mean, or argumentative! The emphasis is on “constructive” – no rotten tomato throwings or random sporkings.

EDIT: In response to player feedback I have reduced the number of words from three to two. I will be linking back to this post so I will update the weekly words here so this page should remain current.

Ready? Here we go….

The weekend’s words for the week ending June 3rd, 2006 are:
1. Triumph

2. Tragedy

Yes I know they are not easy. They aren’t supposed to be easy. Get those mental juices flowing and the shutters snapping. I can’t wait till Monday!

19 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yay!!! This sounds SOOO fun!! This is exactly what I need to do over the weekend. And it will be even better when I finally hit that "order" button and buy my new camera!

8:05 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Cat said...

Seriously, odd mix, this sounds AWESOME. And you have an amazing eye, I tell you what. Wow. I'm saving up for my BAMF camera (tm Kristine), and when I get it I am SO on board! For now I will have to lurk and bitch about my BAMF cameralessness.

8:25 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Sounds cool. I will participate as often as I can, but my pictures aren't in your league. I take half of them with my phone.

8:55 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Kami said...

OH, TEACHER, MY HEAD HURTS!!!

Dude. I think this is AWESOME. I'm in.

9:03 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Will happily participate in an amateurish, disorganized way - for the joy of being a joiner. I promise to at least clean my camera lens and perhaps I'll peruse the instruction manual so I can use more of the camera's functions. No critiquing - because I love snapshots for the spontaneity, and other than cropping, how they capture a moment. It's why I collect vernacular photogprahy.

Thanks for the invite!

9:30 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

Sweet!
I'm so in!

9:46 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Tink said...

Excellent idea! I've been hoping for a muse/reason to get the creative juices flowing. Especially in photography. So in short... I'm in, if I can wrestle Hoop's digital away from him.

9:58 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Odd Mix said...

Whee - sounds like we are off to a good start. I am so excited. Now I have to come up with a snazzy little button banner thingy.

There seems to be a bit of concern that your photos "won't be good enough". Don't sweat it - this is for fun and to learn. Mostly the fun part.

Cat - don't wait. Jump in now. The water is fine, I promise. ALL my pictures are shot with a 2 year old point and shoot digital and edited with free software.

Sarah - phone cams are fine. it really is the thought that counts.

Marla - I love your photography! I waill keep my comments positive - I promise. (I always try to do that anyway)

Kami, MLM, Tink, Jennifer - Welcome, welcome!

10:11 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds AWESOME! My camera is unfortunately lost at the moment... But hopefully I'll find it in time for next week!

11:03 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

YAY! I'm glad you chose to do this.

I would actually limit it to one word though. Sometimes when you're out looking for your shot you're going to find more than one way to show that one word.

*Hug* This is going to sound so 7 year oldish, but can you please remind me when we do this? I'm lucky if I remember to do SPF, and I run that damn thing!! :)

11:44 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow... very cool. That is a great idea! I would love to participate.

At the moment, I am in-between digital cameras (heh, mine be broked). I will definitely visit and comment on those that do post something, and when I get another digital camera, I will participate.

Also, I have TONS of photos that I need to sort through and put into albums. If I find something among there that fits your 'words' for the week, I'll scan and post them.

11:55 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this idea. My digital is a piece of crap but I will try to participate.


Hubby thinks I spend too much time on this blog thing and the games I play, but it is like a release and so creative. I can't wait to see everyone's pictures.

12:27 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Lauri said...

AWESOME! TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

This sounds really fun. And, uh, go ahead and critique...I seriously want to do better...but I just have a 3 year old digital camera and don't even know how to use photoshop or anything like that. (I am actually hoping to sign up for a beginner's photography class this summer where they even teach you how to use photoshop, so this is a great excuse!)

And yeah, you gotta make a button. You can't do anything without a button! lol! LMAO at your 'Toxic' photo!!! Perfect!

2:47 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Oh, very cool. I take *horrible* pictures but I can't wait to look. ;)

3:56 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I'm all over it like white on rice!!

I'm thinking one word might work better in the beginning until some of us really get a feel for this...

5:01 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Freakazojd said...

Ooo, can I play? Discovered you through Hello Josephine...sounds like a good bit of photographic phun!!

12:34 AM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger Misti said...

You know I am all over this.
i already have one that is perfect.
thanks for the invite.
I bought my domain,my stomach birthed some butterflies and I decided to use my name.

4:24 PM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger Claire said...

Mr. Mix, I thank you for the invite and will try to post should I find something worthy of the challenge...but I gots nuthin' so far. Maybe next week?

5:06 PM, May 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry I missed this week!

3:50 PM, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home