The Odd Mix

I have moved to http://oddmix.wordpress.com Everything that was here is now over there as well. Come on over and join the fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Hiiigh Speeeeed!

At long last, I am on the High Bandwidth Freeway – sort of.  On Monday we finally got our high speed internet hooked up. But it made no sense to hook it up in this house, as we start moving to the new house in less than two weeks. So right now, less than 200 yards from where I sit, there is a Megabit speed, wireless router that would love to feed me the data I crave. It’s like the old song, “Anticipay-ation – is makin’ me late. Is keeping me waiting.”

Oh, well.  At least I know it’s there if I need it, and it will be there all the time after we move.

Why so slow to join the 21st century, you ask? Well, the short answer is that we live in the sticks. No cable service. No FiOS. No DSL. I could have gotten satellite internet service but A) it is very expensive to set up and B) the high latency of satellite makes me crazy.

Then came RoadStar Internet. These clever people have done for western Loudoun county what many cities are trying to achieve – area wide WiFi broadband coverage.  They put line of site towers on the ridgelines. They put repeaters in houses in the valleys. The antennae look like a medium pizza box on a stick.

The setup cost is less than half that of satellite. And there is very low latency – like 6 milliseconds low. And I am a happy man! Almost.

6 Comments:

Blogger mamatulip said...

Well, at least you've got high speed on your *property*, LOL.

7:18 AM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

well good for you! i don't have any internet service of my own. i just steal bandwith from work!

7:56 AM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duuuuude. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

2:29 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger islandarts said...

NOt only do you get high speed but you are also getting Wireless?!?!? Lucky Duck!

7:01 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger Lynanne said...

Congrats on the high speed internet and the new house! How exciting!

8:22 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holy cow, I don't know how you blogged without highspeed!!

9:58 AM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home