The Odd Mix

I have moved to http://oddmix.wordpress.com Everything that was here is now over there as well. Come on over and join the fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Active Measures

Trespassers Will Be Shot!

Well, the grounds keepers are at it again. When they lay out sidewalks, they do it from an artistic point of view - and then they are surprised when people ignore the walks and make paths instead. There is a patch of grass here next to the Reagan Building which is always being walked upon because it is in a direct line to the Metro station. Recently, they covered it with very smelly soil - and I mean VERY smelly. Then they seeded it, covered it with straw, and surounded it with police tape. Within a few days the wind had blown away all the straw (making nice big piles in all the corners of the building) and the birds had a right good feast of grass seed.

So today I show up and it is covered with lovely thick green sod. "Nice", I think. No smell. No Police tape.

Then I notice this sign.



See them in the background?



Yep. Walk on our grass and we will soak you down... without warning if you don't read English. Have I mentioned all the tourists - many of whom are foreign - who have been flocking to this place? I sincerely wish I could have sat out there today and watched the show.

Some folks should not breed

I got off the train yesterday and was stunned to see this:

A small child - maybe six years old - playing on the railroad tracks! His DNA donor was parked in a car 50 feet or so away letting him play on the railroad tracks.

Now I know that most kids play on or near tracks at some point in thier life, but come on, people. When I took this picture this picture my back was against the train I had jus gotten off - on the tracks he is playing on. This is a busy yard - a freight train comes through at speed about every 15 to 30 minutes. In the picture you can see not one, but two, engines on tracks leading to this very crossing.

I swear, some people should skip kids and stick with goldfish.

BTW - if the lady in the picture (a fellow passenger) hadn't already been going to get him off the tracks, I would not have been standing around recording this for posterity. I would have been removing him myself.

11 Comments:

Blogger tammy said...

I would like those sprinklers for the neighbor that lets their dog poop all over our yard!

I have actually never played on train tracks, so I find that even more scary!

4:26 PM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps the kid was putting pennies on the tracks in an attempt to derail the train?

Thanks, by the way, for your comments and visits over at Hi Jo. Always appreciated.

5:05 PM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Lynanne said...

I've actually seen those sprinklers for sale on the web. I've haven't seen them advertized as people deterrents, though. LOL

The bit about the kid was pretty damned sad though.

9:49 PM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

I love love love that you always have your camera at the ready to capture some of life's moments that make you say why?

7:45 AM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Tink said...

Motion detecting sprinklers?! That's so evil! And totally something I would have invented.

The picture of the kid on the tracks is disturbing. What did the parent do when the lady came to the rescue? Did she beat the dad up with her purse? Tell me she did...

11:03 AM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I cannot BELIEVE a parent would let a child play on TRAIN TRACKS.

12:39 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

When I originially read the trespassing warning I was afraid to read the post for a second.

1:02 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I would like some of those motion sensored sprinklers for the area in our yard that our dogs have claimed as their own personal digging area.

1:32 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Barry Wallace said...

I see parents all the time at my church that just let their little kids roam wherever they want. While they themselves stand chatting with other adults, the toddlers are free to walk out whatever door is handy.

It's a teeth-gnasher...

Thanks for visiting my site!

1:23 PM, April 14, 2006  
Blogger Claire said...

That kid on the train-tracks makes my stomach turn over. We live in a community overrun with trains and heard just last week of someone getting struck by a train and killed. Can't people teach their kids ANY kind of self-restraint anymore?!?

9:56 PM, April 16, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

WTF?!! That makes me sick with worry and grief over that kid playing on those active tracks with a stupid parent watching!! What is WITH people.

10:06 AM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home