The Odd Mix

I have moved to http://oddmix.wordpress.com Everything that was here is now over there as well. Come on over and join the fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Redneck Advertising

We live well and truely in the sticks. Civilization is encroaching fast, but things like this reasure me that we still live in the country.

I pulled into our local gas station/repair shop/quick mart/used car dealership and saw this in the lot. I knew the owner was into oversized trucks, but this was a new feature to this handy little multipurpose establishment.

I had to take photos. Caleb's response was, "Wow! There. Are. No. Words. To. Describe. How. Cool. That. Is!"

I give you Redneck Adverising!



And I thought William might particularly like this one, considering the emphasis on the traffic cone.








When I mentioed it, the Service manager smiled and said, "The emergency brake failed." I think he was joking.

Bissy Quotes:

Every night my MIL calls to talk with the kids. They take turns telling/reading (depending on the age of the duty kid) her a bedtime story. MDW's parents provided the kids with a cell phone on thier plan specificaly for this kind of call. Last night was Bissy's (Elisabeth's) turn. However Annelise was jabbering at everyone in the room... loudly... unceasingly.

Nana: Who is making all that noise?
Bissy: 'Leise.
Nana: She sure is being loud.
Bissy: Yep.
Nana: Is she always that loud?
Bissy: Noooo... [long pause] Only when she is awake.

15 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Now I can completely understand Caleb's response!!
Now an embarrassing confession: I've always wanted to ride in one of those big-ass trucks!

12:41 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger mamatulip said...

"Only when she is awake."

LMAO!!

And how do people get *in* trucks that big? I'd need a ladder.

12:58 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Lynanne said...

OMG, TOO funny!!

What a great comment from Bissy, too! Right out of the mouths of babes :)

1:06 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger clara* said...

aww that makes me homesick....i don't care how long i live in the city i am a country girl at heart!!

1:35 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Anne said...

Someone in your neck of the woods is definitely overcompensating. Ahem.

3:01 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Tink said...

Awesome pictures! My Mom's second husband used to build Monster Trucks. I would ride in one every year during the town fair. *Groan* How hillbilly huh?

Mama T: They use the back tire as a step. :)

1:28 PM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger islandarts said...

I can't think of a better use for that old Chev and buick. I'm also from Rednecksville (escaped though) so I can appreciate a true piece of advertising art like that one.

Kids are the best.

1:55 PM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Thanks for the link and especially the pic. That is too funny.

3:13 PM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger Lauri said...

You mean those things exist outside of Texas??? For shame, for shame! At least I feel a little better though, knowing Texas isn't the only one.

And LMAO at "only when she's awake"!!!
(You gotta check out my newest 'Conversation with Claire'!)

Oh! And I left a comment for Gabriella...

8:59 PM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

I've always wanted a truck like that!

2:45 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Shannon Nelson said...

As a person who also lives in the "sticks" I can relate to this post. Our area gas station is also the local pizza joint and Curves. Who wouldn't want to get gas, eat a pizza and then get a workout all in one place?

9:58 AM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Hey ODD? where have you been? I hope all is okay.

11:35 AM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Anne said...

Where are you?

4:18 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Cat said...

"Only when she is awake..."
Hee! Love it.

I have one of those, too.

The pictures remind me of this episode of House (which, awesome show) where House has two tickets to the biggest monster truck rally, like, EVER, and they cost him $500 each! And it's just a bunch of MONSTER TRUCKS! And he PAID it! Even though he has no friends and no one to take! And Hugh Laurie is hilarious!

And I watch WAY too much television.

10:29 PM, April 01, 2006  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

I guess you wouldn't want to park in a designated "No Parking Zone" at his store, huh?

I used to routinely go to Monster Truck Rallies when I was a kid. The first three rows were given sheets of plastic to protect themselves from the flying mud.

7:22 AM, April 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home