The Odd Mix

I have moved to http://oddmix.wordpress.com Everything that was here is now over there as well. Come on over and join the fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Friday, April 28, 2006

The One with All The Pictures

or

An Odd Mix of Artistic Subjects

Yesterday I was reading a post on BlogSmith where she placed a photo of a manhole cover and said that people think she is a bit crazy for taking pictures of manholes. Well, if thats the case, people must think I am bughouse nuts beacause I will take a picture of almost anything.

More often than not my subjects are conventional - my kids and wife, flowers, sunsets, mountains, and the like. But when I walk at lunchtime I always have my camera. Same when I am comuting and often when I am working around the farm. If I see an interesting form or pattern I take a shot (or six) and see what I get.

Looking back at my archive over the last year, I thought it would be fun to post some of my shots and see if you can guess the subjects (the answers are there in white - just highlight them).

Have fun! And I am always up for a good critique - so have at it.

EDIT: You might have to scroll down to the pictures until I can figure out how to unscrew my template. Sorry.
























































































Metal Things





Safety Rail
Iron Gate
Base of a Flag Pole
Fire Stand Pipe
Shiny Things



Glass Awning
A Window
Union Station
Metro Center
Stone Things

Statue Nook
Coblestone Street
Um... an "A"
and an "O"
Inside Things


Plaster Ceiling
Tower Stairs
Vaulted Ceiling
Light Fixture
Outside Things

Rain Water
Drain Cleaner
Interstate 66
Port-a-Pots
Natural Things



Locust Husk
Spider Webs
Dead Aspen
Ants
Even Produce




Artichoke
Ginger Root
Magnolia Pod
Cellery

11 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

Wow... Seriously Odd Mix. Those are GORGEOUS! I love taking pictures of abstract things. I took a picture of Hoop's Dad's driveway in Nashville (much to the curiousity of everyone else) simply because of it's beautiful curve.

You should frame them. Or better yet, submit them to the photo contest that Smithsonian Magazine puts on every year!

What kind of camera do you use? I love how zoomed in you were able to get.

9:34 AM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Robyn said...

What an odd mix. (I know that's not funny.) I really love the photos though. I have eye envy. Cause you just have an eye for that sort of thing. Keep on clicking!

11:47 AM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Katie said...

Ooh, even a new profile pic. No more scary hat man! ;)

12:27 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger tammy said...

I love your photos... Are they digital or film???

2:32 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Odd Mix said...

These are all taken with a digital camera. I use a Canon A85 4Mpx camera that I got two Christmasses ago. They don't make it anymore but they do make an equivalent.

6:12 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Really nice work.

6:49 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Yep. I totally get it... I'm always taking pictures of things that most people find odd. But I'm looking at more than the object, deeper than just what's on the surface.

Your pictures are wonderful!

And I have to say after reading your post about the bath thingy- you DO ROCK BABY!!!

8:04 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger YankeeAmanda said...

That's an amazing collection. I love the diversity even among the groupings. Fabulous!

9:08 PM, April 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love taking pictures of anything too and get a lot of flack for it from my husband, family, etc. But it makes me happy so I keep doing it.

That is a GORGEOUS collection.

9:12 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Lauri said...

Ohmygod! I inspired someone! Hell, even if it's just inspiring someone to post some pictures they already took, that's good too! lol!


And NOW I know where your kids get their red hair! Plus you look completely normal...not odd or scary at all! lol!

I LOVE all of these pictures! I see one and think, "Oh, that's my favorite!"...then I see another one and go, "Oh no! This one is the best!" Overall though...I guess the Inside Things are the most intriguing...what are the orange and the green shots? You have some serious talent!

11:06 AM, April 29, 2006  
Blogger Mom at Work said...

I love how these make the familiar seem mysterious. Thanks.

3:28 PM, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home