The Odd Mix

I have moved to http://oddmix.wordpress.com Everything that was here is now over there as well. Come on over and join the fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Monday, February 20, 2006

Busy Weekend



Milo getting first dibs on a new round bale.


We had a busy weekend getting the farm back in shape after the rough weather for the past couple of weeks. Having a long weekend helped - the sea of slime did not - so I suppose we broke even. Anyhoo, we still got a lot done; hay distributed, feeders moved, stall mats fitted, and a whole lot of horse, ah... crap, moved.



And I got a new project.

Poor Eddie had a tough life. He is a retired race horse (read arthritic) who had been badly mistreated in a stall. Now he is well behaved under saddle, and is fairly sweet in the field. But get him in a stall and he is fear agressive. It is probably a very good thing I don't know who did this to him because it makes me very, very, very mad.


Eddie and I get along very well. He knows better than to bite or kick me, and I know better than to do the things tat scare him. I think he will someday relize that not everyone who comes in his stall is going to hurt or be mean to him, thgh he will likely always react that way to strangers. He particularly dislikes loud, hyperkinetic people - so I always move deliberately and quietly around him. I have found that he likes it if I sing low and quiet while I groom him.


Eddie is probably a bit small to cary me - we'll see. But we can at least be friends, and that's what he needs.

8 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Poor Eddie! Please keep us updated as to his progress. Are you keeping him for someone or is he now yours?

10:37 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

I think it is very cool that you care for horses.

10:26 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Tink said...

I couldn't think of a better person to rehabilitate him. Good luck!

11:56 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Lynanne said...

Awwww, what beautiful animals! Is your snow really gone or did it just not show up in the photo?

8:46 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I am so jealous.
You have horses! And such pretty ones.
Give Eddie a big hug and kiss from the Lums!
(and tell those kids: no more throwing horse poop around)

10:32 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger clara* said...

adorable!! i wish i had one. maybe one with wings!! can you get those? hmmm.....

4:32 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great pictures!
You have HORSES?! Wow!

2:02 PM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger Ern said...

That is so sad. Mistreatment of animals and children make me angrier than just about anything else. I'm glad he has a good new home.

3:33 PM, February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home