The Odd Mix

I have moved to http://oddmix.wordpress.com Everything that was here is now over there as well. Come on over and join the fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Historic Weekend Word Challenge


In case you hadn’t noticed the pattern, in addition to making the words for the Weekend Words Challenge thought provoking in terms of photography, I try to make them significant to the date in some way. This weekend there are no obvious holidays so I looked at the weekend in history. I found two

Friday, the second of June, is the anniversary of the effective end of the American Civil War. That war is the bloodiest in US history – costing over 600,000 American dead. On this day, Confederate General E. K. Smith accepted Union terms and surrendered the last Confederate army. So, with apologies to the sensibilities of my friends of the southern persuasion, I chose the word Triumph.


Sunday, the fourth of June, is the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre. On this day the Chinese government sent troops and tanks to disperse over a million people demonstrating support for democracy. They did so with brutal effectiveness – killing hundreds, possibly thousands, of civilians and arresting over 10,000. I remember watching a lone student stand defiantly in the path of a tank brining it momentarily to a halt. Then the tank rolled forward and ground him into the cobbles where he stood. So I chose the word Tragedy.


And there you have it. WWC #4 is right out of the history books – Triumph and Tragedy. Your photos of course need not reflect anything so great as the end of a war or so tragic as a massacre – mine certainly will not. Mine will likely be from daily life. We certainly face enough of both in our lives for there to be no shortage of photographic fodder.

I can’t wait to see how you say the words!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

Good choice of words! You know, this contest has become of the highlights of my weekends. I'm even getting Hoop involved. That's saying something. :)

3:38 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Jay said...

I'm with Tink, I love this contest. I don't know why, cause I'm not much a joiner. But, I find myself looking forward to it and putting a surprising amount of time into thinking about it.

6:00 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Wow, GREAT words. I can't wait to see how people photograph these words.

6:01 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Katie said...

I think you should grow your beard out like Gen. Smith. You would sort of look like him. ;)

8:39 AM, June 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home