The Odd Mix

I have moved to http://oddmix.wordpress.com Everything that was here is now over there as well. Come on over and join the fun.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day Greetings, and WWC #4

While I do hope you enjoyed your Memorial Day holiday weekend (assuming you got one) I find myself hesitant to say "Happy Memorial Day" - so Memorial Day Greetings it is.

We spent this weekend working on our move - more to the point, MDW and AnnShh worked on our move and I got to watch the kids. While it made for a long, tiring weekend, I am convinced I still got the clean end of the stick. While they sorted, packed, cleaned, and loaded, I got to play with the best four kids in the known universe - no arguments please; your's will just have to settle for fifth, sixth, and seventh, etc. - do some landscaping, dig in the garden, and push the swing. The most strenuous thing I had to do (aside from move one bloody heavy washer/dryer combination) was mow a couple of fields with the mother of all lawnmowers.


OK, On to the Weekend Words Challenge. This one was tough for me to get my head around. I could come up with quite a few ways to show remembrance and a couple to show duty, but none seemed quite right. I wound up choosing these:

Duty -
The price of doing one's duty is sometimes life itself.
In World War Two over 400,000 United States servicemen and women gave thier lives doing thier duty. Each of our allies had thier own toll - some many more than the US. In remembrance of the US dead there are 4000 stars sculpted on a wall at the US World War Two Memorial in Washington, DC. It is a poigniant reminder of the price of freedom - and the duty accepted by its defenders.


Remembrance -
Stone remembers when the frailty of human memory would allow events - momentous and small alike - to slip away into obscurity. On a small stone building on the corner of the whitehouse grounds are highwater marks . The building was moved there from the Capital gates (which are at a significantly higher elevation) so the marks record truely significant floods. No one remembers these events which must have seemed apocalyptic at the time - only the stone recalls.


How did you say the words?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you did get the better end of the moving/kids stick. I'm guessing it was as hot there as it was here--packing, cleaning, and loading couldn't have been much fun.

I participated this week, but took the easy route and found some memorials at Valley Forge. Yours are much more creative.

10:58 PM, May 29, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ugh, moving in the heat. Very creative Remembrance photo. I played this week too. I live right outside Valley Forge, near Sharkey, but I was out of town all weekend!

7:39 AM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Jay said...

Both of those pics are cool Mix. Love the "Duty" pic. I haven't been to DC since they finished the WWII memorial. I MUST go there and see it.

I played too.

9:30 AM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger F&W said...

Greetings Odd Mix - I've come to you via Redneck Transformation and, in turn, Jay of Cynical Bastard.

I played WWC this weekend for the first time.

Excellent Remebrance pic. I like the fine detail of the stone work.

11:24 AM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Sorry, I didn't do mine this week.

You would think living here I could have come up with something good, but instead we went to the beach and I have nothing appropriate.

I'm off to check the others.

11:25 AM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Sue said...

I really liked the pattern reflecting in the water on your first pic. I played!

1:42 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Tink said...

I love how you caught the stars reflected in the water instead of taking a full on shot of them. I also really liked the descriptions for both pics.

Good luck on the move! I feel your pain. Moving SUCKS. The next time I move I better be rich enough to hire someone to pack and relocate it for me! :)

1:44 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Katie said...

The WW2 memorial is a very neat place. I like how they have so many different remembrances all around it.

I never knew the White House was moved. I always learn something new here!

1:52 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Odd Mix said...

sharkey: I definiteley got the better deal.

chelle: Welcome!

sarah: We'll let it pass this week... ;)

tink: the problem is you still have to sort it out, even if someone else is packing it.

katie: The Whitehouse wasn't moved - the little gatehouse on the corner was moved from the Capital to the Whitehouse.

3:12 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger graymama said...

I love the stone photo!

I played, but with old pictures.

5:04 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger Uzz said...

I may have to try this WWC thing out! I really like your site since I came over! The shot of the flower is exhibits great composition!

My Memorial Day was pretty cool...attended a service in a cemetery where my father is buried...he fought in WWII...check out the pics if you get a chance.

I'll try to start playing!

7:08 PM, May 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home